Persona :: New Arcana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Persona :: New Arcana

Welcome to Persona :: New Arcana! A Persona RPG site!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to New Arcana!

Welcome, Welcome! You've probably guessed by now, but this is a text-based Persona RPG site for Atlus fans, by Atlus fans. If you're new to Shin Megami Tensei, this place can still be for you, so no need to dash towards the doors! Your first stop should be the introduction board so we can introduce ourselves. Then right after that, feel free to go through our vital information to get a good feel of the site. We hope you enjoy your stay, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post them here. Ciao!

Active Plots

In Search of Salvation

Quick Links

->Site Discord Chat

->Official Timeline

->Code of Conduct

->Character Creation Guide

->Site Updates

->Q and A Board

->Character Types

->Persona Skill List

->Pure Mugic Skills

->Battle Guide and Rules

->Arcana Strengths

->Dungeon Information

->Current Plot Info

->Add Music to Posts

->Advertisement Board

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» May This Message Find You.
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyMon May 08, 2023 10:26 am by Jerry

» Endymion 2 [Main Plot Announcement]
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySat Apr 01, 2023 1:46 am by Yoshio

» In the Wake of Everything [Cherry Post-Story]
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySun Jan 29, 2023 8:53 pm by Alcor

» This Site Was Awesome
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 8:27 am by Yoshio

» (Plot) The Audition
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 4:11 am by Enigma

» Prelude (Lance & ????)
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 7:52 am by THE_BUTLER00

» Lance Edwards (Persona User - Semibreve)
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 6:01 am by Sosina

» Castiel Labreck (Semibreve NC)
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 5:55 am by THE_BUTLER00

» Off the Rails (Shouhei and Helvetica)
Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 12:08 am by juantamad

Current Events
Updated: 20/07/2020

**ALERT!** After a rather eventful evening at Maksim's Party, three teenagers seems to have gone missing. The doors of Vault Olympia have been breached due to a to this day unknown assailant, who sabotaged the doors locking systems, allowing demons to make entry. Thanks to the excellent defensive capabilities of the Vault's Security drones, the Attack was put to an end, and the invading monsters fled to the outside. Right now, the Doors of Vault Olympia are currently open, allowing any survivors of the fall to seek shelter within the Vault's safe halls. What Vault Security officials think of this development remains unclear as the Chief of Police and Security of Olympia refused to leave a comment. This is Rianara, of Olympia news, signing out.

The site is entering a new era as our team of mods works tirelessly on updating old and obsolete information threads and links. Over the Summer, we aim to make many changes to the forum, including writing a comprehensive beginners' guide to help new players accommodate to the combat and other rp systems in place here.

Be sure to constantly check the update thread for any changes to the boards. You can find it ->Here<-

More to come

Jukebox

The Maker
Shin Megami Tensei and Persona belong to ATLUS. We own nothing, and have simply used their data to create a world of our own. They are the true geniuses behind the scenes.
Affiliates
Our Static Affiliates

Our Scrolling Affiliates

Observe, Learn (Open)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

Observe, Learn (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Among the droves of citizens going about their business in the dreary slums of Junction's Lower Ward, the familiar shapes of humans, humanoids, and alien being of varying shapes mingled with each other, whether peacefully or violently. One such race among the masses was the Mekor race, seemingly human beings with varying degrees of technology sticking from their bodies. Those that couldn't move beyond the first floor lived in their homes away from home, the self-titled Orbis Residence building or the Mekor Gen Labs.

Leaving his home in the Orbis Residence Hall, one young man found himself sitting on a bench overlooking the intersection of walkways, watching every person who walked by with dull yet intrigued eyes. He didn't need a pen or paper to keep notes of what he saw; his mind was recording whatever he noted, keeping a "mental list" that he could spy in the corner of his eye. He unconsciously twirled the end of his scarf around his hands, his mind working over the parameters that would normally tell him to sit there perfectly still.

Observe, Learn (Open) Guilty_crown-16-shu-dictator-scarf-evil

Should any passerby feel the piercing, unwavering gaze of the silent boy, they were free to approach him. Whether for curiosity or frustration, somebody was likely to talk to him...
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Onyx Rhine

Surprisingly enough, the Slums were actually being fairly calm this time around, and Onyx gladly decided to take that opportunity to go out on a walk without having to be assaulted by some sort of unpleasantness left and right. Some of the citizens down there really lacked limits at times. He was more or less used to it at this point, yes, but everyone would prefer some peace over the ruckus when given the choice. Well, most people at least. Troublemakers will always exist, no matter what.

The unusual calmness would also contribute to him spending his time wandering around without realizing just how much time had passed already. Well, darn it. He should probably start to wear a wristwatch at this rate. It was really annoying to not know what time it was. Luckily for the monochrome colored man though, there seemed to be someone else in the area he was passing through at that moment. In fact, he had noticed being looked at, but hadn’t given it much attention until he decided that he could actually use the company for at least a moment. Turning his head around, he would focus on the man sitting on the bench for a moment, almost as if checking him out for a while, before walking over and asking a question in an even tone. “Excuse me, would you happen to know what time it is?”

Relevant Info:
~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Milton kept his eyes on the monochrome stranger who met his gaze as he inquired on the current time. Seeing how he was wandering earlier for an extensive amount of time without a way to track the time, Milton assumed that he was not too busy and cod spare some time to pick his brain. As soon as the man asked the time, Milton flicked his eyes up to the corner of his vision, pulling up the current time from his internal clock. Within a second of being asked, he stated the time, his normally flat tone started elevating to an intrigued and calm voice, a hint of joy and excitement heard behind his words.

"The current time is 2:25 PM. Your skin pigmentation interests me. Would you mind if I pick your brain a bit? Seeing how you walked around for.some time with little regard for time, you must have a good amount on your hands."
Milton patted the seat beside him in case the stranger wanted to talk. From a physical standpoint, Milton would look like a traditional human being, but his posture, motions, and a decreased expression of emotion in his speech indicated he.might not be as.he appears.

"Are you familiar with the Ship of Theseus paradox?"
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Onyx Rhine

Black and white colored eyes would blink a couple times, not really having expected to be asked for a chat in such a strange manner after a simple inquiry of time. Well, the other wasn’t wrong though. He wasn’t busy at the moment, otherwise he would have made a point of paying closer attention to the time. Being somewhat entertained by this situation, Onyx would offer the man a slight grin, showing off his sharp, shark-like teeth for a brief moment. “I would consider myself to be free, yes. And you sound quite like a scientist. Do you pick people’s brains often?” The wording the other used made it sound quite peculiar, that was for sure. The pale man didn’t really mind right now though, as it didn’t seem like a dangerous situation.

Nevertheless, he would narrow his eyes in thought as the next question came. For now it seemed he remained more interested in standing rather than sitting down, despite choosing to entertain the conversation. “It sounds vaguely familiar. Wasn’t it the thing that had to do with replacing parts of objects and whatnot. I think I’ve heard of this, but I don’t necessarily consider myself a philosopher as much as I like strategizing.” He usually made his own theories rather than learning about already established ones in much detail. It did depend on the theory in question though. Some were interesting enough to be pondered, that was for sure.

~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Milton's eyes lit up a bit at the sight of the man's sharp teeth in his slight grin. The gentleman seemed a bit surprised or confused by Milton's way of speaking and offering a conversation after a simple offer to know the time. While the man didn't seem too thrown off by Milton's ability to recite the exact time without looking to a clock. Even though he didn't sit beside Milton, preferring to stand, Milton replied to his inquiry.

"It's not common for me to pick the brains of a passerby. As for your assertion about me being a scientist, I suppose you could say I am. I have a job as the assistant/apprentice to a resident psychologist from my home world. As such, most of the people I have to pick the brains of in my line of work are... not always stable in mind. It's nice to see how people of different races and ways of life view things.

So you consider yourself more an adept strategist than one to discuss philosophy? I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Alright, consider this: say a wooden sea-faring ship is made of 300 planks. Every time a single piece of the ship is starting to rot or needs replacing, the plank is replaced with one of the exact same size and the old plank is stored away. This repeats until every plank of the original ship is replaced by a new plank. Now, if someone were to take all of the old planks of the ship and builds a new ship out of them, the paradox arises...

Which ship deserves to be called the original ship? It's an interesting paradox I came across, as it... has a personal connection to my condition."
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Onyx Rhine

Well yes, he hadn’t really taken issue with the instantaneous information about the time, as much as he had taken note of it. He couldn’t know why the man knew it right away, as there were plenty possible reasons for it, and he didn’t currently feel intrigued enough to ask about it. He probably did not need to now anyway, so might as well focus more on his personal interests than every random thing that happened. Onyx would hum under his breath lightly, rubbing one of his horns as he considered the matter at hand. “Dealing with unstable people is quite a pain, I can attest to that one. Nevertheless, they do provide interesting insights into how one’s mind works.” Although the ways a mind could work were probably endless, and could never be understood and learned down to a T. Unless one was immortal and dedicated their whole life to it.

“I prefer to create my own theories. Albeit, philosophy can be fascinating at times. I just don’t pay extended attention to it unless something catches my eye specifically.” It wasn’t really his field of expertise, although he was willing to potentially dabble in it, were he to gain something from doing so. You can never have too many hobbies, really. “I would call each of them a separate remaster of the original. Neither would be entirely the same as it used to be anymore, but still have a link to it. Thing change with time one way or another, so I think in many cases it honestly matters not whether something is the original or not. What it is and can do right now is what counts.”, he would comment towards the subject after giving it a moment of thought. Is it really that important to be caught in the past too much? The present and future tend to matter a lot more in most cases. Nevertheless, he would give the man a questioning glance. “So, are you some sort of a mixed being then?” A ship is easy to rebuild, but to do that to a living being…well, that sounded like a tough job.
~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Milton shrugged at the man's suggestion that dealing was the mentally uncertain was more bother than benefit. True, Dr. Klein didn't let him touch the more delicate cases, but those he did get to talk to kept him fairly entertained. It felt like a puzzle, following their problems to the roots and finding a way to solve them. Being a patient of the doctor alongside Anni, Milton knew all too well how talking to people can open up new perspectives and shape one's own views. He ran his fingers around the back loop of his scarf, keeping his tattoo covered up.

"On the contrary, I find the mentally unstable fascinating. To a degree, we do have defects and variations in our mind that could be considered abnormal. When I get to learn the roots of their problems and resolve them, we learn bit by bit how their minds work. With the varying technologically advanced races here, it wouldn't be that difficult to start work on.

But on another note, you seem selective in curiosities. May I ask what piques your curiosity? You mentioned stratagems earlier, so I assume those are one such specialty."

As the man who had yet to be given a name to identify him with gave his answer to the paradox, Milton breathed a small sigh at his answer, committing it to memory and listening to the man's question on if he were a "mixed being". Looking away from the man and instead on his right hand, the other one tugging on his scarf, Onyx would notice what seemed to be a rippling of his skin. Something was laying over his barely tanned skin, an invisible layer that wavered a bit here and there with every movement. Seeing that it would be easier to show than tell, Milton held out his arm to Onyx as his skin seemed to be covered by a new layer of hardened black material, blue veins of energy and mana pumping through them. He looked back up at Onyx.

"Imagine a living organic being replaced piece by piece with technology, to a degree that there is very little of his natural body left. Is such a man even human anymore?"
Observe, Learn (Open) Guilty_crown-19-shu-crystal-arm-regeneration-void-power

"My name is Milton. May I ask for yours?"
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Onyx Rhine

“Perhaps it is, and perhaps it is not. I do not choose to learn about such on purpose, so the knowledge isn’t always as welcome to me as it is to one who seeks it on purpose.” Oh yes, he did do psychology work, and while he did not dislike helping people, the main reason why he did what he did was due to the abilities he had been born with. It was never much of a choice. He could either do his best to constantly ignore all the input, or actually put it to some use. In the end, the latter was obviously a much better choice. “Hmm…”, he would make a brief thoughtful noise before answering the posed question. “Anything and everything. You could say I take interest in things on whim. Trying to stick to set paths becomes boring after being alive for a certain amount of time.” He could seem selective, and in a way he perhaps was, but it did kind of depend on what he felt like at the moment. He did not think in terms of having specialties, but rather just following what happens to interest you at the given time.

Nevertheless, he would watch the man as he received a response alongside a show apparently, stepping back a few paces so he could see this new revelation a bit better with his selective sight. “Heh.” How strange. A machine, was it? “I find this to be different from your ship theory. A ship is not a living being. It cannot retain a sense of self in any way or form. You, however, I assume can, for as long as your brain and mind remains intact. You may not be a typical human anymore, but you are still you. Does it really matter though? You’re currently in a place where many various races reside. Being unique doesn’t really make you any less of a person.” He didn’t know much about the area of robotics, but the man seemed to retain his sense of self well enough, so was having metal parts that much of an issue in the end?

Observe, Learn (Open) 9xbkXo0

“The name’s Onyx Rhine. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 11:56 pm

So this person, now identified in his mind as Onyx Rhine, was one to learn on a whim and pursue interests as he pleased. Milton would be of a similar way of researching were it not a side effect of his parameters to learn as much as he could find about the subject of his job. Thankfully, it wasn't in military training like the director wanted.

However, when Onyx started trying to insist that his new condition wasn't anything of concern, Milton shot Onyx a frustrated glare, the feeling of anger brewing in his eyes as his skin reverted to his regular color. His anger subsided extreme quickly as his mind corrected him to avoid him whipping out his Nanovolt repeater at Onyx. Milton did flick his scarf off his neck from the reaction, the tattoo "NLP-12-5" visibly inscribed onto the base of his upper back as he turned to speak in as even a tone as he could muster.

"...Pleasure to meet you as well, Onyx. But I must remind you that the Ship of Theseus is a paradox, not a theory. It is a thought experiment. A ship does not have a sense of self, true, but I consider more the spirit of self. You may see me as I originally was, but others may say Milton died years ago, replaced with a machine of his likeness. Yes, my brain is still organic, but if the director had his way, all you'd be speaking to is an AI. I do have an AI implemented in here, so it can be a struggle to act as I want to. My humanity is basically hanging by a few elect strands. Why?

Because the Mekor race believes in one thing; the flesh of humanity is set to fail. And as long as I am Milton, I am no Mekor."
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Onyx Rhine

Onyx would blink a couple times, slightly taken aback by the sudden wave of anger. Still, it didn’t seem like the guy was going to actually harm him, so he would choose to not act for the time being. It did make him curious as to what exactly caused this reaction, however. Giving the other a brief lookover, he would then turn his sight upwards at the sky in thought. “To me, it doesn’t come off as much of a paradox either way.” One way or another neither would really be the true original in the end. And on that note, it seriously depended on everyone’s personal definition of original and what could fall under that label to begin with.

“Anyway, I would think the choice should be yours. Which one do you actually want to be? If you believed in what you say this race of yours does, wouldn’t you wish to not be human anymore? In my opinion, the idea of turning people into machines solves nothing. If you want a race that is fully mechanic, you can just create robots right off the bat instead of destroying people’s current lives for it. If you do turn into an AI, it’s basically as if you’ve never really existed before.” So, what’s the real point of it? That’s basically equal to erasing one’s life and starting it all over as a different being.
~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 am

Once again, all Onyx did was blink with mild surprise at Milton's reactions. He was finding it less useful to observe the colorless one's body for how his mind worked. Onyx didn't have the mindset of the factions of Orbis Centra, formed from years of war and collaboration. To the citizens of Blume, the Vel Mekor were believed to desire an era of machines, a new race of beings to live self-sufficiently as their flesh masters faded into the dust. Ending his train of thought to continue conversation, Milton rested his elbows onto his arms and held his head in his hands.

"This body is the only thing that belongs to the Mekor race. I am, or was, a citizen of Blume. We focused on enhancing nature with natural deposits of mana. Some of our citizens ended up finding a way to splice their natural composition with animal counterparts. The issue with the Mekor race is that they believe their mortality can be countered by bodies such as these. But reproduction of this new generation will result in factory line construction of droids with AI implemented into their systems. There would be no such thing as the human conscience among them anymore. To be fair, they saved my life from death, but if it weren't for Dr. Klein, I would just be replaced by a robot altogether, my body left to rot.

But enough about me. What can you tell me of your people, Onyx?"
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Onyx Rhine

Truth to be told, yes, he wasn’t the most expressive when it came to body language most of the time. He was more of a mind person than a physical one, albeit everything depended on the circumstances in the end. It was a lot harder to be surprised by strange things in a place as odd and varies as Junction however. One quickly finds out that almost anything can be possible in such a multi-dimensional melting pot. “There’s a reason why everyone is born the way they are. I would think that trying to erase a race by turning it all towards machines just goes against nature. Living forever doesn't really work well in reality.” It seemed like quite a waste of potential. Almost every being is meant to die eventually. And achieving immortality for everyone would only result in overpopulation, wouldn’t it?

Looking towards the man, Onyx would shift his footing slightly, crossing his arms over his chest for now. “There isn’t a whole lot to say. My race, the Spectre, are probably what the likes of you would classify as a type of a ghost. Except that I’m not as intangible as they tend to usually be depicted. My world was one of mostly darkness, which most people would likely not enjoy.” The majority of beings were used to periods of day and night, rather than constant darkness with only a few lights here and there around certain establishments. Even then, there was only so much he could tell due to the fact that he used to be blind in the past, and only got his sight fixed up in a way once already on Junction.
~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Milton shook his head as Onyx ended his opinion on immortality via machine life. It was a waste, trying to replicate organic life as a being of metal and voltage. They were going to build a supposed perfect race, where every citizen was designed and programmed for their set purpose. Milton and all those involved in the park bombing were the test subjects for their machinery, finding whatever excuse they could to rebuild them in their image. People were  born with a purpose, but not one to be predestined by their creators. Or was he wrong in assuming this? Such a quandary would have to be filed for later.

"In a way, they would be erasing the Mekor race. But like what you see before you, they believe in forming a new generation of beings, machines with the capacity to think like the advanced human race they were "destined" to be. Every citizen born to serve a predestined purpose, parents deciding the entirety of their descendants on the assembly line... such a race living at the expense of humanity is a true crime against nature indeed. I wanted to live like my people, finite in life yet endless with descendants. But now, there may be no way back for me...

Spectres... That explains your pigmentation. I have not talked extensively to those of your race, so I'll be keeping a noted entry for later research. Indeed, a world of darkness would not prove enjoyable to all. I have also noticed how you stand a certain distance from me to observe objects. Do your eyes possess a certain quality to them?"
Back to top Go down
Retuo
Admin
Retuo

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Onyx Rhine

Onyx would tilt his head at Milton in mild curiosity. “I wonder what is the point of advanced intelligence when your destiny is already predetermined. There’s no point in thinking when you’re not really supposed to anymore.” After all, if one had to do the exact thing they were created to do, being able to think freely became almost pointless. You were just a drone in reality anyway, unable to choose for yourself. “Well, for as long as you retain at least your mind, there may always be a way down the road.” Whether it was one that came from a new world, or one that would be developed in time, science seemed to always be progressing forwards in some form.

The pale man would rub his chin slightly in thought. “I am not aware of whether others of my kind are here as well, so I cannot say much on that subject. Nevertheless, yes, I see well into the distance but my short distance sight is extremely blurry. I prefer to be able to identify things, therefore standing at a certain distance is more favorable.” It would be a problem to speak with someone for an extended amount of time, and still be unable to recognize their face later on due to never having seen it properly, that was for sure.
~~~~
Back to top Go down
Captain Caliber

Captain Caliber

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

"It's to work smarter, not harder."
Milton knew what they wanted; a human race that was stronger, smarter, and advanced enough to show the rest of Orbis Centra who deserved to rule the world. If they could map the mind, the AI would supposedly reach human levels of sentience. But that was a long way going, and Milton was one of the living survivors and victims of their research.
"The AI parameters were not set to limit their thoughts. It was to simply direct their passion and dedication to their directed field of expertise. It's the illusion of free will. They can think all they want, but they'll always be stuck in the box...

After hearing that Onyx was not aware of other Spectres in Juction, Milton explained how he might let Onyx know if he comes across another of his kind. As they conversed, Milton had received a message from Anni.
"Pardon me a moment. Message just came in."
After a moment of sitting still to read the message, Milton got up from the bench and handed Onyx a number similar to a phone number on a scrap piece he found beside him.

"Apologies, but I can't talk for much longer. Seems I lost track of time as well. My friend's calling me back to the house. If you're ever in the neighborhood, look up Dr. Klein's office. I'll usually be there helping with patients, so you can swing by if you want to say hi again. Anything else you need before I depart?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Observe, Learn (Open)   Observe, Learn (Open) Empty

Back to top Go down

Observe, Learn (Open)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next