Persona :: New Arcana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Persona :: New Arcana

Welcome to Persona :: New Arcana! A Persona RPG site!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to New Arcana!

Welcome, Welcome! You've probably guessed by now, but this is a text-based Persona RPG site for Atlus fans, by Atlus fans. If you're new to Shin Megami Tensei, this place can still be for you, so no need to dash towards the doors! Your first stop should be the introduction board so we can introduce ourselves. Then right after that, feel free to go through our vital information to get a good feel of the site. We hope you enjoy your stay, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post them here. Ciao!

Active Plots

In Search of Salvation

Quick Links

->Site Discord Chat

->Official Timeline

->Code of Conduct

->Character Creation Guide

->Site Updates

->Q and A Board

->Character Types

->Persona Skill List

->Pure Mugic Skills

->Battle Guide and Rules

->Arcana Strengths

->Dungeon Information

->Current Plot Info

->Add Music to Posts

->Advertisement Board

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» May This Message Find You.
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyMon May 08, 2023 10:26 am by Jerry

» Endymion 2 [Main Plot Announcement]
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptySat Apr 01, 2023 1:46 am by Yoshio

» In the Wake of Everything [Cherry Post-Story]
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptySun Jan 29, 2023 8:53 pm by Alcor

» This Site Was Awesome
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 8:27 am by Yoshio

» (Plot) The Audition
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 4:11 am by Enigma

» Prelude (Lance & ????)
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 7:52 am by THE_BUTLER00

» Lance Edwards (Persona User - Semibreve)
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 6:01 am by Sosina

» Castiel Labreck (Semibreve NC)
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 5:55 am by THE_BUTLER00

» Off the Rails (Shouhei and Helvetica)
New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 12:08 am by juantamad

Current Events
Updated: 20/07/2020

**ALERT!** After a rather eventful evening at Maksim's Party, three teenagers seems to have gone missing. The doors of Vault Olympia have been breached due to a to this day unknown assailant, who sabotaged the doors locking systems, allowing demons to make entry. Thanks to the excellent defensive capabilities of the Vault's Security drones, the Attack was put to an end, and the invading monsters fled to the outside. Right now, the Doors of Vault Olympia are currently open, allowing any survivors of the fall to seek shelter within the Vault's safe halls. What Vault Security officials think of this development remains unclear as the Chief of Police and Security of Olympia refused to leave a comment. This is Rianara, of Olympia news, signing out.

The site is entering a new era as our team of mods works tirelessly on updating old and obsolete information threads and links. Over the Summer, we aim to make many changes to the forum, including writing a comprehensive beginners' guide to help new players accommodate to the combat and other rp systems in place here.

Be sure to constantly check the update thread for any changes to the boards. You can find it ->Here<-

More to come

Jukebox

The Maker
Shin Megami Tensei and Persona belong to ATLUS. We own nothing, and have simply used their data to create a world of our own. They are the true geniuses behind the scenes.
Affiliates
Our Static Affiliates

Our Scrolling Affiliates

New System: Drop or Keep?

Go down 
+7
Space Overlord Bfroger6
Infernal Zero
Penny
Moogle
Enigma
Azami
Godai
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Godai

Godai

New System: Drop or Keep? Empty
PostSubject: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 6:32 pm

New System: Drop or Keep? 5teSvzd

So it looks we've been having some concerns about the new 100 randomizer system. Feel free to post if you wish for us to keep it or go back to the old system.
Back to top Go down
Azami

Azami

Location : Chained to a rock by a fickle RNG god. Ow, my liver.

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

New System: Drop or Keep? 71333493
Back to top Go down
Enigma

Enigma

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm

id prefer 1 out of 10
Back to top Go down
Moogle

Moogle

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 6:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Penny

Penny

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Yeah the 100 rand really isn't necessary
Back to top Go down
Infernal Zero

Infernal Zero

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 8:21 pm

There's arguments to be made as far as standard Hit/Miss/Crit goes, but I really do like the way that this means that the percentages you have on your skills are actually the percentages you use.
That this wasn't the case before is kinda dumb to me, gotta be honest.

If you just use the 1-10 system for Hit/Crit rolls and use 100 rolls for everything else (IK, Ailment, Counters, etc.), it means we keep the benefits for skills that the 100 randomiser grants without making most people have to interact with it, and generally avoid the added Luck emphasis on combat in the area where it actually applies.
I'd definitely prefer only having 100 randomisers to only having 10 randomisers though, if that's how it is to be.
Back to top Go down
Space Overlord Bfroger6

Space Overlord Bfroger6

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Sure 1-10 served its purpose well, but is that enough reason to not switch to 1-100? I would like to hear the arguments of those wishing for 1-10 to stay opposed to just them saying '1-100 sux', if only for professional curiosity. Bc I see a couple problems with 1-100, my biggest qualm being the fact it inflates the perceived chance of missing, even though, in reality, the chance of rolling 1 on a 1-10 is the same as rolling 1-10 on a 1-100. This perceived change results in a lessened enjoyment as higher risk is perceived in a system where we constantly rely on the rng to battle. However, 1-100 makes it so 5% increments matter, which is pretty nonsensical that 1-10 was used before, as Infernal said, when 5% increments were a thing in the skill list from the start. On that note, I agree with Infernal and conclude that 1-100 should be rolled for ailments and shit, while 1-10 should be rolled for miss/crit. However, that also means, despite it being the objectively best option imo, that people would be required to heed more attention to which scale randomizer they're using, which is too much to expect of the internet, let's be honest.

tl;dr those who want 1-10 to stay please do tell why exactly. It's annoying to just receive unargumented memes like back then when Endymion's progression was to be determined, when those in favor of continuing it merely said stuff like 'ye continue lo00l'
Back to top Go down
CWIS

CWIS

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm

It makes more sense, I'm kinda upset I didn't think of it myself, and Junciton is keepen it with or without Endy.
Back to top Go down
virtual_feel

virtual_feel

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:13 pm

I already expressed my opinion that using a 100 randomizer for Miss/Crit chances it ends up making Luck even more important than it already is. There are cases where there is a difference of almost 10% in the miss chance between old and new systems, while that's just 9 points of Lk more that you would have to invest to be as effective as you were in the previous system for classes that just have 1 Skill Set(So everyone but PUs) it's a bit more costly.
Back to top Go down
Space Overlord Bfroger6

Space Overlord Bfroger6

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:17 pm

Difference is expressing it on a platform where not everyone is guaranteed to see even if they're interested (like Discord although Iunno where you've said this, so I don't claim you've used Discord), as opposed to expressing it on a thread specifically dedicated to the issue, where the chance of those interested missing the information you're providing is dropped, because they're probably gonna be checking the thread out.

So yeah, thank you
Back to top Go down
Azami

Azami

Location : Chained to a rock by a fickle RNG god. Ow, my liver.

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Already expressed my thoughts on the Discord and I don't care much either way, so I'll keep this short and just reiterate for the sake of convenience that I believe the 100 randomizer system makes the Luck stat overly important and powerful. Luck's always been the most important stat on the site and unless you want to fall behind you're forced to invest a lot of points in it that could be going elsewhere in order to make sure you aren't missing every attack you throw out or getting crit constantly; this means that builds are less varied and people generally feel less free to experiment with stat distribution and instead are inclined to stick to the practice of pouring a shit ton of freebies into Luck, which in turn causes the enemy Luck to rise and makes the stat even more important as the few characters who aren't already doing so are forced to focus on it in order to adapt.

With that in mind, I feel like the more even playing field of the 10 randomizer is more appealing to me and is a better direction for the site. I don't think it's massively important and thus I don't feel as strongly about it as some do, but I do hold a slight preference and I believe that creating a system which expands upon an already existing and restrictive imbalance in the importance of stats is a poor idea even if it isn't going to singlehandedly make/break the combat system or otherwise particularly change it up.

The idea that 5% differences don't matter under a 10 number system is also strange. Like, let's take ailments for example. A character strength can increase your chances of inflicting a particular ailment and a character weakness can increase your chance of being infected with a particular ailment; this isn't even accounting for the effects that soul skills or regular boost skills can have on chances. If you use Poison Mist on some guy with a weakness that makes him 15% more susceptible to it then without any boosts, amps, or build modifiers whatsoever the 25% chance of you afflicting him with it (rounded down to 2 numbers in the 10 number randomizer) jumps up to 40% (double the prior amount and just barely below 50%). And if his Persona is weak to ailments too? Well, you just hit the lottery because now you've got an 80% chance of poisoning him, which is only 10% below the maximum cap for ailment chances.

You don't have to be a hyperintelligent genius or a thoroughly experienced munchkin to make the 5% useful. It's incredibly easy with a bit of preplanning and anyone who puts some basic thought into their build should be able to do that. So if we're going to use one kind of randomizer I'm of course in favor of using a 10 number one; the potential brokenness of luck is a far more pressing and important issue than whether or not a tiny percentage only relevant to a few specific types of skills has an automatic and clearly visible impact on your chances.

I'm perfectly fine with using a 100 just for ailments, counters, and the like though. And I don't think people's assumed attention span is a particularly valid point against that idea given how they can just reroll it in a separate post if they use the wrong one. Regardless, I'll reiterate that the whole issue itself doesn't matter to me much in spite of what the lengthy af nature of this reply might seem to imply, so if enough people are in favor of the 100 then I'd say go for it.
Back to top Go down
Brittie

Brittie

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 am

I always thought the 1-10 randomizer was a let down because of the disadvantage by taking 5% from numbers like 15, 35 and so on. If you're smart, yes, you can make certain % easier, like 1 out of 4 for a 25% chance (which is fair because there's no loss) instead of 2 out of 10 (which isn't, due to site's politics of rounding everything down) or 25 out of 100 (too big numbers), but that's not applicable to all multiples of 5 or other odd numbers. I don't think you have to always use 1-100 randomizer if you know math well enough to simplify some numbers, but in situations where it's the only option, the 1-100 is there for the sake of fairness. 1-10 is just too lazy and, frankly, it's not that significant of a change or groundbreaking news to justify it being the topic of a debate, specially when it seems there isn't real reasoning to go against it but a matter of preference, despite it affecting gameplay only in a slightly more positive manner for everyone. Last but not least, humans have this incredible ability to adapt to changes and evolve, let's apply it to an internet forum as well. [insert rainbow emote]
Back to top Go down
ViniVidiVicci

ViniVidiVicci

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 am

I agree with Azami for the most part.

The 100 system seems cool and I personally believe people are just getting shit on by RNG and throwing a fit about it but it does give Luck more power and it already had enough. With the 1-10 system Luck is more bonded by breakthrough caps so it's a little more forgiving and I know it goes both ways but lets be real, dungeon enemies are kicking our asses hard. They ain't slow.

I'm also in agreement that we should use 1-20 or 1-100 for Ailments and Counters and all the other 5% skills to make it matter since believe it or not it DOES matter on a few people and it sucks to get screwed just because the system is 10s and only 10s.

But for the record y'all need to tough it out so I can get that juicy 45% Devil Sukukaja/Sukunda. Thnx for understanding pls no hate.
Back to top Go down
Penny

Penny

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 11:52 am

Ailments never hit numbers in between 5%s, so there's no real point using 100 randomizers for them when you could just use 20 instead and still get their true accuracy. There's also no point limiting them to 10 randomizers even if miss/crit chances go back to it when it's so simple to just double that and get true accuracy that way.

If your chance would hit something like 35% just do 7 out of 20, it really isn't that hard. If you want to implement that for miss chances with boosted buffs then... yeah okay why not, 20 rands are still all you need for that.

Otherwise, though, I agree with Azami that it gives the Luck stat more relevance than it already has, even if I don't think it's a big improvement. It gives more minute Luck differences slightly more importance, which can be annoying to keep track of... that said, I don't personally dislike the True Accuracy of it, I just find it not better or worse than the old system.

That said, an important part of the site is also how beginner friendly it's supposed to be. Though yes, the math involved in the system is nothing special in either of the options, you could easily argue that using a 100 randomizer will look more daunting to a new player to figure out than the old system with only 10 numbers, or hell even 20 now if we change to that for random 5%s. I've heard of people before, though I'll make no claim that this is accurate, that have had problems with the current system anyway so... why make it more complicated when it otherwise works just fine?

Sure, we shouldn't go for too much handholding or cater to laziness, but we also shouldn't intentionally make things harder for the sake of the opposite. We weren't holding hands before with the old system, were we? Maybe for the tutorial fight in an awakening but that would only need more handholding if we started using the 100 randomizer.

Regardless of all that, though, I honestly just think we should use whatever the smallest possible randomizer is for individual rolls to get True Accuracy, making accuracy/crits work like before except maybe have 5%s on Sukukaja/Revolution matter for that, and for ailments/literally anything else going by whatever gives us the true chance we need, like a 1 in 2 randomizer for 50%, 3 in 4 for 75%, etc.. If you don't want to bother with figuring that out just use a 10 or 20 randomizer, it's literally the same chance anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New System: Drop or Keep?   New System: Drop or Keep? Empty

Back to top Go down

New System: Drop or Keep?
Page 1 of 1