Persona :: New Arcana

Welcome to Persona :: New Arcana! A Persona RPG site!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inCalendar
Welcome to New Arcana!

Welcome, Welcome! You've probably guessed by now, but this is a text-based Persona RPG site for Atlus fans, by Atlus fans. If you're new to Shin Megami Tensei, this place can still be for you, so no need to dash towards the doors! Your first stop should be the introduction board so we can introduce ourselves. Then right after that, feel free to go through our vital information to get a good feel of the site. We hope you enjoy your stay, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post them here. Ciao!

Endymion Time of Day
----------------------
Quick Links

->Site InRP Timeline

->Site Discord Chat

->Code of Conduct

->Site Updates

->Other Updates

->Q and A Board

->Character Types

->Persona Skill List

->Battle Guide and Rules

->Arcana Strengths

->Dungeon Information

->Shop (Black Market)

->Missions (Case Files)

->Add Music to Posts

->Advertisement Board

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
Current Events
Updated: 8/18/2017

Heya! I'm your friendly neighborhood Larsinny, a demon here to keep you updated on the current debacles going on within the site! Okay, maybe not debacles... Anyway! The Endymion Plot, our Third Main Plot, is underway! We also have our sideplot taking place called Junction! If you're a new member looking to join the new plot, you will want to choose Endymion. However, if you're interested in our sideplot, you may also join that one aswell. The choice is ultimately up to you! The Dungeon Master of the Junction plot is CWIS and the DM of the current Endymion plot is Godai and Grantus.

All templates on the site have been updated, and this also includes the rules aswell. When referring to the rules, please disregard any that say "Old" or "Obsolete" as we are no longer using those rules for the Endymion Plot. Oh, don't be mistaken! I love breaking the rules! But in this case, follow them or erasure!

Be sure to constantly check the update thread for any changes to the boards. You can find it ->Here<-

More to come

Jukebox

The Maker
Shin Megami Tensei and Persona belong to ATLUS. We own nothing, and have simply used their data to create a world of our own. They are the true geniuses behind the scenes.
Affiliates

Share | 

Mercy on Us (Maria)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Brittany could hear the footsteps again. But unlike last time, it sounded as if only one person was approaching her location. As the sound grew momentarily louder, it finally stopped a footstep short, as if pausing itself. The sound of a deep breath was audible to her. It was one of worry, anxiety, and perhaps dread. But it was only a momentary, yet necessary pause to continue. Another step was made and a familiar Cadet with her coffin arrived inside the kitchen.

She froze.

She stared.

The words couldn't, or rather, refused to come out of her mouth. Her face was present with shame. But when she finally forced herself to speak, she trembled.

"...Hey, Brit. I--I'm s-sorry. Di--id I take too long?"

She tried to seem as nonchalant as possible when setting aside the same hulking coffin against the wall. Every bit cell in her body didn't want to be here right now. At least, under different circumstances, she didn't want any of this to come to light in the way that it did. "Father Jorge h--had a call and ha--had to go somewhere... I see he got you tea. We have some cookies if you want any."

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Probably Brittany was so absorbed in her own thoughts of hatred towards Endymion's current state she barely noticed when Maria arrived. If it weren't for her voice, though, readily making Brit turn her head in Maria's direction. Gosh, she looked awfully awkward. Ashamed, even. For a moment, Brittany didn't quite know what to say or to react. There was no need for Maria to feel even remotely ashamed for anything that has befallen upon her, and the mere thought the nun was feeling recoiled in front of her filled Brit's heart with sadness. It wasn't her fault, but the fault of those in command of this church, those who put her in this position and did this to her in first place. Them, Brittany would never forgive. But to her friend, the cheerleader had nothing but empathy and affection.

Yes, you did! BUT!”, Brittany stood up at her dramatic pause, walking to Maria and minimizing the distance between them. “I'll forgive you... IF you introduce me to Greg. Really, he's cute! Why haven't you told me there was a cute boy in the church? Is he single? Like, duh, of course he must be, he works here, that's kinda in the package, but I wanna hear it from you, I totally wanna hear it aaaaaall from you!”, she giggled, entangling her arm with Maria in the intention of dragging her to the table.

Com'on Miss Cadet! You owe me for being late, so drop that crap down and come sit with me. Oh, get the cookies too! Unless they're too caloric, then you can keep them for yourself!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:26 pm

"Oh... Brit, I--Wha?"

Maria was rather mystified by how positive Brittany appeared even after becoming witness to a more hidden side of her. But she was just more surprised of the sudden topic of that one guy she worked with from time to time on the field. It was just the right kind of opening for Brittany to take advantage of to force her to the table. Which, she allowed her. No point in standing, really. When she finally got into her chair, it was when the full force of Brittany's positivity and the sudden topic finally made her get less tense. Additionally, the Cadet began to have a bit more confidence to speak, she stopped stuttering and hesitating gradually. "Um, they do have a lot of sugar, so maybe they can stay in the pantry for now until I get something more healthy from the store... So, you want to know about Greg? I mean... he's okay? He keeps complaining about being a Ginger or whatever that means... He's just there as someone who's here to get a working wage and eventually become a priest..."

Maria really thought little about the guy. Just like any member of the Church, Gregory was someone who was extraordinarily trained compared to your average human. Most members from the Church were freaks in their own ways, usually in the physical fitness sense. But, this Church in particular was one in its own unique way. And besides, the guy didn't really stand out all that much aside from his high work ethic. She really doubted he was interested in any romantic pursuits.

She added with a wry smile. "And besides, Brit, I think the Church is probably one of the worst places for a boyfriend. Don't you think so?"

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Last edited by Philodai on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 am

Wait, who said anything about boyfriend? But that's a fair point still! If he's studying, preparing, working or whatever you call it, to be a priest, then that means: a) he might not be too interested in looking around for girlfriends, yes, I get that BUT b) he is NOT a priest yet, which means he still has some time to have fun around before committing to Jesus!”, Brittany placed one hand over her mouth, chuckling. “Not that I'm interested in him that way. I mean, he's cute and all, and I like that he's a ginger, natural redheads are sooo much better than dying your hair red, you know. Trust me, I totally know what I'm saying about dying your hair. Oh, back on point, he's cute and all but I don't wanna be, like, the pivot in a scandal involving the moral corruption of a holy servant of God and warrant me a spot on Lucifer's lap in Hell...”, she closed her eyes, uniting her hands in a praying motion.

...or do I?”, she opened one of her eyes glancing at Maria before cracking a full laugh at how silly the hypothetical prospect of dating a soon-to-be priest was. Besides, she was taken already. “Okay, don't tell Father Jorge I said that. Heresy time aside, how was your cadet work today? Caught the bad guys?” It was quite weird to talk about Cadet business. Even weirder to have a friend who's a Cadet, specially when you're a Terrorist. Still, she knew better and to treat it naturally was likely the best option to make Maria comfortable with opening up to her.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 pm

It was subsequently beginning to get easier to talk and be comfortable as Brittany was up to her usual mischievous musings. Really, Maria would not have it any other way even when a side of her was rather not amused of the potential damage of a scandal on this very Church. But knowing her, it was all a joke. She sighed and flatly replied. "I would rather not have you burning in the underworld, Brit. Especially because you were in some secretive tryst with one of our own to boot! Let's not even talk about how it would make morning services immensely awkward..."

Despite it, she chuckled and shook with mirth. Damn it, Hell or not, the Cadet was actually enjoying her company. It was nice to actually have a moment to relax and not care about her obligations. That is, until that question just had to pop up. Maria was beginning to feel awkward all over again. Of course, she knew. How could she not after all of that? "Well... we had a meeting about last night's task and a physical to check up on us. Other than that, there was nothing special or fun about it. It's just the same thing every day, ha ha..."

She stopped herself from wincing from the memory. It was still heavy news to bear. It made her wonder at least once what would happen if Brit knew? Perish the thought, she didn't need to know. Someone living a normal life didn't need to be dragged down into this cesspool of insanity. Why join the Cadets otherwise?

"So, I guess you know now. I... I'm sorry for keeping this from you. I wanted to tell you when I... I was ready."

She struggled to keep herself from stammering. Her face was downcast, but it was apologetic for keeping a secret from her. The guilt was back. So many thoughts spiraled and traveled through her mind. The fear and the anxiety was growing to one actual thought. What did Brittany actually think of her?

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Despite Brit's attempts to start a carefree talk, it appeared that Maria's duties were still a soft topic for conversations. Knowing it was her own to blame, Brittany's cheerful attitude slowly faded into a serious, apologetic expression. Of course Maria would feel embarrassed and awkward. Jorge may have told Brit about the nun-in-training profession as a servant of the government, but it didn't seem like the nun herself knew about the revelation. The terrorist should have seen, with Maria's typical personality and all t ensued, specially after last day's happenings, she would act recoiled upon bringing up the topic. For a moment, there was no sound in the kitchen but the bout of palpable silence between the girls, until Brittany decided to speak again, almost as if the previous quietness returned her the necessary inspiration to reinstall the tender atmosphere between them.

...it's okay. I should have seen you're a heroine in disguise, there was no way a regular nun would have such muscles!”, Brittany said, illustrating her typical good mood. Should Maria watch as Brittany went on and on in her antics, she'd be greeted with a genuine smile. “You know the Star Guardian series, right? The show about a group of girls who turn into super heroines at night to fight evil, while they're just regular students by day. There's even a verse about that in the opening theme. "Fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight, never running from a fight!" But... in your case it's more like "Fighting terrorists by moonlight, being a nun by daylight!"

Another small fit of unpretentious chuckle came before Brit started speaking once again.

...Don't worry. I know it's part of the super hero code to keep your identity a secret. Trust me, I've read enough comics to know what happens when you reveal you're the mighty savior of the doomed world to everyone!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:50 am

"I like the idea... But that's not it. I'm not a hero, Brit. I just... just don't like letting my work affect my own personal life. That's really it..." Maria wanted to squirm in her seat. She nervously let out a chuckle while her eyes were glued to the hardwood table in the kitchen they both sat at. She was feeling a little better when Brittany tried to compare her to some kind of superhero. But, that's not how she really is... no. Heroes, or even superheroes, were selfless. Maria wasn't that when she obtained her power and worked for it. She gulped silently. It wasn't fair to keep so much of this from her...

But there was so much pain. So much despair to trudge through in these memories... She figured she would've been used to it by now, but that pain was still there. When Brittany was there for her now, Maria knew it was the time. There was no use in hiding anymore. The Cadet took a slow and deep breath before starting.

"There was a girl. She had a loving family. They worked as bakers to make a meager living. We--they were happy. One day, that girl went off to have her own day off. It was at the morning of the Divide when she left... When she came back by night, demons already tore them apart...
They were all bleeding... She couldn't run... or scream... when they tore her apart too... She felt so helpless. So scared..."

Maria fell silent again, as if trying to figure out what else to say. But she found herself feeling that lump in her neck and that weight in her heart. It was painful, yet it was a kind of pain that felt liberating for once. Not like the oppressive and binding pain from using her Weapon. When she found the words, her eyes flitted towards the window where the garden can be seen. "When she was saved, only she lived. But not for long because of the wounds. It was a miracle if that girl could even make it past the next night. So they gave her two choices: Die or gain power to get back at the demons. What choice do you think she made, Brit?"

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Last edited by Philodai on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm

So that was Maria's story. Brittany felt like anchors were dragging her heart into the deepest of the seas the more she heard. As the story sunk in her and Brittany processed what happened, only a mutter escaped her lips, albeit in an audible enough volume so Maria could listen:

You chose revenge...

Thought it was too heavy of a word to use, Brittany couldn't blame her. Had she faced the exact same destiny, perhaps she too would plant the seeds of retaliation and grudge in her core. There was a feeling of kindred here even if Maria wouldn't know, though the cheerleader couldn't exactly say she'd do and act just the same. The way Brittany changed and directed her life after the drastic world-changing Divide and how it affected what came next was way more bland and soft than Maria's, that she knew.

Is there something else you want to tell me? About your life, I mean... About yourself...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:16 pm

"...Yes, I did. I chose it not because I was dying. Because I had to.
It was all I had left since I lost everything then."

Her eyes were downcast with shame. She didn't join the Cadets because she truly wanted to defend the City. Sure, Maria would like to do that and made as much of an effort when she could. But only because it was pure hatred that drove her forward despite all of the pain shackling her to the religious institution's grasp. Even then, it was the disciplining from the Church that drove her to think above her hatred at least to some degree.  

She didn't want to say anything else, but something inside her wanted to keep going. Like a crack on a wall that was widening just as it was beckoning to reveal more of itself because it could. But this time, older and fonder memories were the first to leak out. She began to talk almost nostalgically.

"I remember when I was the oldest, I had to wake up at the same time as my parents.
Helping them get the bread ready, I hated having to get up so early...
But I was happy, helping them and enjoying watching it all bake.
I could still remember the smell of baking bread back home...
I can remember my little baby brothers and sisters when they woke up later.
They always called for me, "Mary! What's for breakfast? I want toast!" like I was their maid.
I remember chewing them out for it. I hated it too, but... I loved them all the same.
They were just... kids. Just kids being themselves.
And my parents were always busy, but I know they worked hard for us.
I was always there to help when they needed it."

"I didn't think too much about the future. I was busy helping the family and helping my parents raise the kids.
I wasn't unhappy. I was... content. I didn't know of anything else I wanted because I was always busy then.
But I was okay with that. And when I grew older, I wanted to take over the shop so my parents could rest. But now...
It's all gone..."

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:25 pm

We're kinda similar when I think about it. I too was the oldest of my siblings...

Brittany said, with a faint smile with obvious hints of melancholy. Not like her usual beaming, sunshine smile, but more like soft sunbeams, rays of light trying to come in between clouds. These are memories she barely vocalized nowadays, except maybe to Bernie, her personal confident in the form of a fluffy, foul-mouthed (or beaked!) owl.

Though they weren't reaaally my siblings, you know. Like, not related by blood or something, but we lived together since always, so I liked to think of them as my little brothers and sisters. We were all orphans in the same orphanage and I used to help the caretakers with looking out for them, they were also nuns just like you. Oh I haven't told you this, right? Yep, I've been an orphan for the majority of my life. I mean, I don't remember if there was a time when I wasn't, except...

"Except for the day after the Divide", she'd add, if only it'd mean only more drama to drag into the conversation where her past issues weren't the focus, but Maria's. Therefore, Brittany refrained from going further. Talking about her adoption meant talking about certain things about her life she wasn't comfortable yet to let out. “Anyway, uh, it was kinda like I was their second mom, just like you were your siblings' second mom. But you know, they were annoying sometimes. Actually... most of the time. Like every child in their age. Bratty, naughty, spoiled, crybabies, all that, aaaaall of that. They used to pick on me as well, and like, I remember being upset at them often and wishing for them to be adopted soon so they could leave me alone. Until that actually started happening, and one by one, they left. First it was Brandon. Then Amanda. Then the twins, I still remember them crying to be adopted by the same couple, Raphael and Gabriel. Funny, right? Angelic names, sometimes I wonder who named them like that. They weren't separated, yeah. I guess they were the luckiest of all, we were all happy for them! And... as all of them went and new ones came, I remained...

Another moment of silence installed between them as Brittany gazed to the wall behind Maria, her hazel eyes fixed at a blurry, lost gaze, almost as if said wall was actually a vivid painting of long buried flashbacks of scenes and memories she held dear to her core.

...I missed them, each one of them, both the old ones and new ones. Sometimes I wondered if they were happy. If they were thinking of me, if they missed me as well, because I certainly did. If one day they'd come back to visit... I like to think they are okay with their new families, and they survived the Divide, moved to another country, traveled to a lot of other places, made some new friends, took a lot of pictures and lived happily ever after. Still, I always remember them... And even if, like, there was one day I was upset, that's minimum compared to all the good memories... So I hope that, even if it's hard for you to remember what happened to your siblings, you can, you know, linger on the good memories of them as well. We didn't have our real family, but it didn't matter much to me, because at least we were together and had each other. Just like, despite your parents being all busy, your siblings still had you... and they loved you and knew how much you loved them back, I'm sure.

She ended her tale with a smile, now the lost, disperse stare focused on Maria as one hand stretched out to her, over the table, Brittany's offer of compassion and understanding.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm

"..."

She found herself smiling gently when listening to Brittany saying they were very similar. Maria had those same thoughts earlier. it was funny how true that was now with this new revelation. But, she was sad again when it was brought up that they were an orphan, even before the Divide. It felt really heavy when it was stated again how they were more or less the same. Maria had actual family of her blood, but Brittany didn't. But that didn't matter. A family was family regardless of blood relation. What her friend just said about remembering her now-departed family caused her lips to tremble. She remembered them all again, both the good and the bad. It was a strange thing sometimes when time pass by and when everyone you cherished were gone. It was easy to forget. Deep down Maria still remembered, but the gentle reminder Brittany gave her finally did her in.

For far too long Maria was too concerned with the present. Years went by when she dove into the grueling training and the cruel experiments on her body. Even when using her Demon Weapon, her trials and tribulations didn't end there. No, it only began. There was a time when the Cadet wondered if there was even a point to it, despite being driven by revenge and a weaker motivation to protect others as a Cadet. It was a hesitation and weakness Maria could never forgive herself for. She looked at the extended hand her friend offered. Tears began to spill from her eyes as she clasped it with both hands while she shook. She whispered to the cheerleader.

"I... I really needed to hear that. Thank you, Brit. Thank you..."

She struggled to keep it together as she sat with her neck bowed over the table as her hands still held onto Brittany's. Maria didn't want to cry nor did she want to show she was close to it. Weakness was pathetic. It was embarrassing. But just for this once, it may not be a bad thing.

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 pm

"I know... That's why I'm here, because every super hero needs a super sidekick!", she chuckled, placing the other free hand over Maria's. The years handling spoiled children and mean-spirited adults made Brittany rather resilient in emotional moments such as this, as well as understanding that the nun needed this, her moment to cry it all out. Unless Maria had more to vent about, Brittany would return to waiting quietness.

"Is there anything else you wanna share? Like, anything?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Maria let her grasp both of their hands with hers. And when she did, she gently gripped tighter, taking heart at the fact that Brittany was there for her. The Cadet was silent while mulling over what else to say. What else was there to share, really? Brittany knew her secret and what life was like back then for her. But there was far much more. A lot more than Brittany would have bargained for. Maria didn't know where to go with this. Brittany, the civilian model, and Maria, the Cadet soldier, were from two absolutely different worlds. Could she even understand it? Would she still accept her?

Maria hesitated to even respond. But now that they were beginning to let out the floodgates, there was no point in hiding this one. And when the Cadet began, she was beginning to look more and more detached in her eyes as she began and continued her narration.

"When I woke up... I couldn't feel anything. It felt like a dream, a precursor to a nightmare..."

--------------

I wasn't even sure where I was. Something dulled my mind.
I couldn't even move. Barely even moving my head. But I noticed I was in a bed.
I smelled the anti-septic in the air. Its smell made me feel more alert.
Enough to hear the beeping from the machines around me.

I wondered why. I was in an infirmary, a ward.
But I still felt too delirious to even make the connection.
When I finally looked down, I understood. Tubes.
Metallic and plastic tubes were lining through what was left of me.
They were filling in through my stomach, trying to keep me alive.
I noticed it also continued to line throughout my entire body.
They were there to keep me alive, but I felt as if they were taking
something from me...

I finally remembered what happened.
The fangs. The claws. The blood. The moment I tried to scream.
That one night on the Divide when I came back home.
And here I was on the silver platter for that nightmare.
At that moment I knew that...

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brittie

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm

So... Maria started talking about what Brittany inquired Jorge before. The "experiments". No matter how positive and light hearted the girl tried to be, this was too heavy of a topic even for her. Her face gradually became not lively as before, but somber and demotivated. It all felt familiar, though perhaps not as violent as what Maria experienced. Still, the feeling was there and once again, Brittany realized they had more in common than she thought, even if not for positive reasons.

"Maria...""

Her throat felt dry and yet she didn't find in her the will to bring the cup of tea to the anxious lips. Steam arising danced in front of her empty gaze, without glancing back to Maria. This was sad even more than angering; what she had gone through, what they had gone through because of other people they couldn't defend themselves from. Still, there was a fraction of a good feeling in all of this. Despite Brittany's anxiety about the topic, she felt secure enough to share something. After all, Maria did share her past with her, so it was only fair.

"There's something I want to tell you about this... About myself. I'd like you to listen... Can you?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philodai

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:55 am

The memories. Each and every one of them was drenched in pain and hatred. They stuck to her like glue, neither of them refused to leave her. It marred her body and her soul. The Cadet was going to continue in that same droning and empty voice, until Brittany brought her back to life. She felt... sad. Worried. What does her friend think of her now? A freak? A monster? Was it pity? It looked like it...

"Y...yes. Anything for you, Brit. I'm all ears."

She tried to smile at her, but it was weak when Maria didn't even feel happy at all. Maria was feeling drained and grim about the whole thing. The Cadet felt so much uncertainty right now, but there was still some assurance that her friend was still here for and that's what it all mattered. This time, Maria was going to be here for her as she began to listen intently to Brittany.

Acquired Badges:

Information For Me:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mercy on Us (Maria)   

Back to top Go down

Mercy on Us (Maria)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next